Thursday, July 23, 2009

Journey 2009


Well, here goes. It is that time of year again, we are heading out on the Canoe Journey 2009. Usually, I only get to attend a portion, while Sophia and Travis are there for the duration. This year, since I am unemployed, and it is a shorter distance than it has been in the past, I will be there for most of it -- a week. We will head out on Sunday and spend the week paddling, singing and camping, we will be on our way to Suquamish, WA. Sounds greuling, and don't get me wrong, it is. Yet it is extremely exciting, and one of the most amazing things a person could participate in. This is the largest youth drug and alcohol prevention event on the west coast. It is extremely spiritual and touching, like nothing I have ever seen before.



This particular video was taken by one of our skippers -- those are just about all teenagers pulling these canoes.

I have to say, this is one event that makes me wish I had tighter roots in my culture. I see these hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, all with this cultural tie. All of these people, working so hard to go back to their roots, and I swell with pride when I watch my daughter participate. She knows her tribes songs, dances, language. As a 5 year old, to have all of that culture handed to you -- wow. I am 28, I have no songs, dances, or language. I am lucky that I can watch my daughter absorb all of this and someday, she will be rich from her culture and pride. I love that.

To read on and find more information on the Canoe Journey 2009, follow this link:

http://www.tribaljourneys2009.com/

No comments:

Trying to jump on the green train...